Tuesday, August 21, 2007

Don't Hold Your Breath

Its amazing how sweet and innocent Freshmen can be on the first day of school! They almost make you want to like them! I set up the smartboard and wowed them...and watched a "cheesy" video (please, don't tell Wes). We then talked about the idiom "Cheesy" and set some goals. Pretty laid back...we only had 20 minutes, it wasn't really meant as a full on class...

I overwhelmed them...it was awesome. I already have them wondering how they will make arrangements to blog as homework. I can't believe freshman even said the word "homework." I guess I need to thank the teachers at KMS for instilling that expectation. It was the first time in three years that any of my students have asked that?!

This was also my first day with the title "ELA." All of my students were supposed to be LAU B...but the difference in the levels was amazing...I had students leading the class and a few that had no idea what was going on. I definitely found that I was talking way too fast. Poor mijos! I can't wait to see them grow.

According to Meyer's-Briggs, I'm an INTJ and like to put theory into practical means...but I lack follow through. I feel like I understand the theory and the concepts, but don't have the experience in trying out my theories!

I can't wait. I'm very apprehensive though. I imagine though that the moment I'm not apprehensive, I should probably find a new profession

1 comment:

Joseph Miller said...

Congratulations on getting the year started on a positive note with the students. They will soon find this blog and be surprised to hear that you were the least bit "apprehensive". Maybe they will tell their parents about Haka tonight...or maybe they will explain Cheesey to their brother or sister...in English. I don't think you will always be apprehensive. But I do think you always be reflective and strive to be better. How exciting!